Thursday, February 8, 2018

Discussion Post: Finding Time to Read and Blog

I know what you're thinking, "oh wow, a discussion post. How long has it been?" And honestly, I don't even know. I was trying to do at least one a month but I failed miserably at that goal and then at some point I just kind of gave up. It may have been around the time I moved and started a new job. But honestly I'm not even sure. It could have been way before that.

But this topic has been bouncing around in my head for months now, since about the time I moved and started a new job in fact. So I am finally taking the time to write this post so I can get this out of my head. And also to share with you all to see if you have any thoughts or tips for me.

This will probably come as no surprise but all of my problems on this subject started when I moved and got a new job. Did you know that I moved and got a new job? Anyway, I had a good system going for reading and blogging before. To be honest, I did a lot of blogging at work and I can't really do that anymore. My job is a lot more computer work so I can't do my blogging. I also can't listen to audiobooks like I used to because I have to listen to podcasts at work. Weird problem, I know. Finally, I don't take the bus to work anymore so I don't have time to read while I'm on the way to and from work.

Basically what this means is that the only time I have to read and blog are the few hours in the evening after I get home from work and before I go to bed. That's not a lot of time considering that I also have to make and eat dinner, and do other stuff like shower and such. Plus I now have a roommate so I can't really hide in my room and read like I used to. And I do have time on weekends to read but for some reason I never end up reading as much as I did before.

All of this has significantly reduced the amount of books I read in a month and that has reduced the amount of blog posts I have in a month. I used to be able to post five days a week and these days I am lucky if I can post three times. And I used to easily finish 12-15 books in a month and now I'm lucky if I can finish 10. I know this doesn't sound that bad but everything is relative and this feels like failure to me. Anything less than what used to be normal feels like I'm not doing my best. In my head I know I should feel bad about this because it's pretty good, but I can't help it.

But I am still plugging away. I listen to audiobooks when I drive to work and when I do stuff around the house, I read a little bit in the morning before I leave for work, I read on lunch, I spend my weekends doing nothing but reading. But I still wish I could read more. I know I used to not read at the level I did when I left Pittsburgh, and I just need to develop a new system but it's hard to get there and I want to be there now! Maybe in a year. We'll see.

So my question is, how do you get reading and blogging done? When do you find the time to read and blog? Do you have any tips that can help me get more read in a month and get more blogged in a month. Leave me a comment with your thoughts. Thanks for stopping by and HAPPY READING!

7 comments:

  1. Here are some tips I wrote about recently: http://opinionatedbooklover.com/did-you-resolve-to-read-more-this-year/

    I think maybe the ebook one could help you. I read on my phone literally everywhere, and you'd be surprised how many extra books you can squeeze in by reading in these small moments.

    I used to blog at work too, and now my job has gotten busier, and I can't do that. Recently I've been blogging at the library while my son is at baseball practice twice a week. It's been a fairly good routine. I also create the shells for my blog and do planning right when I get home from work before my son gets home from school - so maybe 20 minutes a couple times a week, and that helps me be ready to write when I am at the library.

    Good luck finding a new routine! Give yourself time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate. I will definitely check that out. How am I not following your new blog? I must resolve that ASAP.

      As far as e-books, that’s honestly my issue. I used to read on my phone and Kindle all the time but now I just don’t do that. Like even at night I read so little in my Kindle. I do try to read a bit at work and while i’m Waiting for stuff but not having the travel time is getting in the way of that.

      Delete
  2. I commute a lot on public transportation so I usually get time to read on there as well as when I'm waiting for my tram or train to arrive. And other than that I try to read at least one chapter before I go to sleep, which does help a little even if I couldn't read during the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have a job and other stuff so I don't get to read and blog often. I finally let go of the pressure, so I read and blog at whatever pace I want. But for my reading time, I usually read at night too before bed and during weekends. I also blog during weekends. During holidays or long breaks, I try to write as many drafts as I can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read mostly on my commute (3 - 3.5 hours on mass transit), and I read for 1 hours before bedtime to unwind. I write my reviews right after I finish the book, and my other posts are written on the weekend. I try to blog hop one hour each night, but sometimes I don't get to, but I won't give up reading for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to be one of those people who thought SUCESS was blogging at least 5 times a week. About 2 years ago I realized I'm a 3 x's a week blogger and that's okay. Maybe in your new life you aren't a 5 days a week blogger, but that doesn't make you less of an awesome blogger. But I know what you mean about schedule changes and it affecting your reading/blogging. It was actually harder for me to blog after I quit my job because I used to blog at work and when I suddenly had ALL THE TIME, I would put it off. You'll settle in-- but it actually sounds like your life is super full and fun right now, so that's a plus!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, why did spell check not tell me that success has 2 c's??? I'm not impressed.

      Delete